If a building is listed, this means that there are restrictions on what can be altered or extended, both internally and externally.

You may have to apply for listed building consent from the District Council if either of the following apply:

  • You want to¬†demolish a listed building
  • You want to alter or extend it in any way that affects its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest,

Commencing work without such consent will result in a criminal offence being committed under Section 9 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act, 1990, for which the penalties can be heavy.

Listed building status applies to the interior and exterior of the building, as well as to any objects or structures fixed to the building, whether original or later additions.

It also covers any objects or structures within the curtilage of the building which, although not fixed to it, form part of the land and have done so since before 1 July 1948, e.g. outbuildings, statues and boundary walls.

Consequently, applications for listed building consent may be required for a wide variety of works, including internal alterations, replacement windows and for the conversion of curtilage buildings.

Even fairly minor proposals such as re-decoration and re-pointing may require consent. It is therefore always advisable to check with the Conservation and Design team to find out whether any applications are required and whether they are likely to be received favourably.

If the works you wish to undertake also require planning permission, you can apply for advice under the pre-application advice service.