Bank Holiday Monday
Please be aware the Council offices will be closed for the Bank Holiday Monday on May 29th and will reopen on Tuesday, May 30th
An annual licence which is required under the Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 and 1991. A “breeding establishment” applies to any person who carries on a business of breeding dogs with a view to their being sold in the course of such business. The Act prescribes standards of management and accommodation and provides for the process of inspection.
The timescale for determining this application is 56 days from the receipt by this authority of an acceptable and complete application.
A licence is required if either of the following applies:
- You are in the business of breeding and selling dogs (regardless of the number of litters produced in a 12 month period)
- You produce 5 litters of more in a 12 month period regardless of whether you are in the business of breeding and selling dogs.
The premises must be adequate in terms of:
- construction, size, number of occupants, exercise facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness;
- dogs and puppies will be adequately supplied with food and drink, bedding material, adequately exercised and visited at suitable intervals;
- adequate precautions are in place in case of infectious disease;
- adequate fire and emergency precautions are in place;
- suitable breeding records are maintained.
The legislation contains a number of rules including:
- bitches are not to be mated until they are at least one year old;
- bitches can only have one litter per year;
- bitches are to have no more than six litters;
- accurate breeding records must be maintained.
For a valid application we require ALL the following forms/documentation in order for the application to be processed. Incomplete applications will be returned.
New or Renew application
Guidance Notes for assistance with applications