Greenbuild - Celebrating Norfolk
The region's biggest green lifestyle event - Felbrigg Hall 9 and 10 September 2017
The Chairman of the Council for 2017 - 2018 is Cllr Richard Shepherd
What does the Chairman of the Council do?
The Chairman of the Council has both a Civic and a Council role. This includes representing the whole Council during his/her term of office:
- Promoting public involvement in the Council’s activities
- Being an ambassador for the District, attending civic and ceremonial functions as the district’s first citizen
- Acting as a link between the Council and various groups and organisations
- Presiding over meetings of the Council so that its business can be undertaken efficiently and with regard to the rights of councillors and the interests of the community
- Upholding and promoting the Council’s Constitution and interpreting rules of procedure at meetings of Full Council
- Ensuring that the Council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of relevance and concern to the local community
- Calling meetings of the Full Council in addition to ordinary meetings
- Attending meetings of the Cabinet and other Committees as appropriate
- Receiving recommendations from the Cabinet and Scrutiny Committee
- The Chairman has a casting vote in all decisions taken by the Council and this is exercised in the event of a tie at a Council meeting.
How is the Chairman appointed?
The Chairman is elected by District Councillors at the Full Council in May each year. The Vice-Chairman is appointed at the same meeting.
Who can be Chairman?
Any elected Member of the Council is eligible for appointment to the office of Chairman unless s/he is a Member of the Cabinet.
Who is the Chairman?
The Chairman is Cllr Richard Shepherd.
Richard has nominated his Chairman’s Charity as Nelson’s Journey.
During his year in office he will raise money for the Norfolk charity, which supports children and young people who have experienced the death of a significant person in their life.
“Their set up is amazing and the work they do is very impressive,” said Richard.
“Over the course of the year I will host events to raise money for the charity and will hand a cheque to them at the end of the year.”
Richard spent 24 years serving with the Royal Navy and 16 years with Norfolk Police.
He is very honoured and proud to be first citizen of such a wonderful part of the world.
“I’ve watched the North Norfolk tourism industry boom over the past few years and our local Enterprise Zones start to kick in.
“We are ahead of the pack as regards social housing and with the Northern Distributor Road on the way we should see even better tourism and an increase in business opportunities.
“There is much to do and I hope to be able to promote North Norfolk wherever I see an opportunity and to work for all to the common good.”
Who is the Vice-Chairman?
The Vice-Chairman is Cllr Roy Reynolds
You can see a list of past Chairman and Vice-Chairman of North Norfolk District Council